It is a fact of life in today’s modern society that most people are away from home a majority of their waking hours. The U.S Department of Labor recently reported that working adults spend as much as 70% of their day somewhere other than their primary residence. With so many people out and about on a daily basis, it is not hard to understand why outdoor advertising has become more popular than ever. This medium has evolved over the years, but the fact remains that outdoor advertising is an incredibly effective way to reach a mass audience. Let’s take a look at the fundamental forms of creative outdoor marketing.
Static Bulletin Billboard
A static bulletin billboard is the most common form of outdoor advertising. The typical size of this kind of media is usually about 48 feet wide and 14 feet high. These dimensions will normally give advertisers about 672 square feet on which to display their messaging. Static bulletin billboards can reach consumers on a scale that other forms of advertising cannot do.
There are many benefits to utilizing static bulletin billboards, including:
- Able to reach a large audience or target a specific demographic.
- 24/7, nonstop communication with the buying public.
- Able to create eye-catching impressions of a product or service.
- Proven return on investment.
- Increases the brand recognition for other media purchases, such as radio and TV.
A digital billboard utilizes an electronic screen, instead of a solid wall of open space. This newest version of the billboard is computer controlled and is capable of displaying various advertising messages at timed intervals. Digital billboards are also known for their versatility and vibrant colors. Advertising campaigns can be updated to digital billboards via wireless cell phone technology. Each billboard image is usually shown to consumers on a rotating basis, in 10 second intervals.
Due to their versatile nature, there are some distinct advantages of digital billboards over static displays.
- Faster Go Live Dates – Traditional billboards require a rather extensive lead time in order to be created, delivered and hung up. Digital advertising is available to be displayed as soon as the graphic art is completed on the computer.
- Production Cost Savings – Because digital images are not made from paper and poster material, a significant amount of money can be saved during the production process.
Wallscapes are another form of advertising that fits well into the definition of outdoor media. Mostly utilized in urban settings, wallscapes are normally large images or murals that are painted or hung on the side of a building. Wallscapes tend to get noticed easily, as they are normally designed with eye catching images and content. Any large vertical surface can be a suitable setting for an urban wallscape, including brick buildings and parking garages. This type of advertising also works well in areas where traditional billboard use is restricted.
Outdoor advertising has been a very successful way to communicate messages for over 100 years. Whether you choose a traditional, static billboard or a high tech digital version, you will be sure to reach a wide audience for an affordable cost. With the addition of urban wallscapes, advertisers have a wide range of options from which to choose, as it relates to reaching their targeted customer base. Whatever form of outdoor advertising you decide upon, the return on investment will be well worth the time and money spent.